From Highway 101 just north of Newport, go west on Lighthouse Drive. After checking in at the gate, continue to the lighthouse parking areas.
Go to the Oregon Birding Trail Website. Choose the Oregon Coast Birding Trail. Click on the Central Coast tab and go to section 63.
See Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area by U.S. Bureau of Land Management for information about hours and fees
Habitat and Birds
Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area (YHONA) was designated as a Globally Important Bird Area in 1997 by the American Bird Conservancy because of its many nesting seabirds including Western Gulls, Common Murres, Pigeon Guillemots, Brandt’s Cormorants, and Pelagic Cormorants. YHONA was also designated a State Important Bird Area by the Audubon Society of Portland.
Nearby Birding Locations
- Sally's Bend
- Northwest 68th Street Scoter Spot
- Toledo Public Boat Launch
- Port of Newport/Public Fishing Pier
- Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Yaquina Bay Road
- Mike Miller Educational Trail
- OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center Nature Trail
- Perpetua Bank/Pelagic Site - 35 Miles Offshore, - Boat Trip
- Yaquina Bay (Idaho Point)
- Yaquina Bay State Park
- South Beach State Park
- South Jetty Yaquina Bay
- Depot Slough Interpretive Trail